Wednesday, January 24, 2007

choice is for the privileged......

I woke up at 4a.m. only to be surprised at how cold the city was. There is so much dust, grim, and smog that my nose has black soot collecting in it. (sorry for those with weak stomachs) I am told that this is quite normal for the winter months here in Delhi, this is because many people burn coal on the streets and in their homes to stay warm; therefore, creating a gray haze that looms over the city until the rains of spring/and summer wash it away....However, the morning cries of the azan seem to make it all seem beautiful almost as if the city is burning one large incents stick... Today Sonal briefed us on our duties in the internship. To sum up what exactly I will be doing is basically creating the instructions and system in which Maitri will use to set up a refuge in the slum, in which women and children can come and learn about AIDs/HIV awareness, health, hygiene, sexual protection, and also receive support from their peers. (Anabel I am anxious to talk more with you on this!) It is a big task, but I have the belief that I can do it with lots of hard work and even more prayer. (Mama, wink)

After the orientation with Sonal and Winnie, Sushant (our house servant) took me to the local market just around the corner from Som Vihar (my apartment), this is where I bartered for the first time. I bought a shawl for half of the asking price at 50rs instead of 100rs. (about the equivalent of a U.S. dollar.) As we walked back from the market I felt so proud not to mention excited because I was wearing my new khameez (long tunic), salwar (pants), and chunni (shawl). I felt so much more comfortable and less like the outsider I was.

I don't think that it has hit me entirely that I am in Delhi. It is still surreal and almost like a dream. The people here are so real, not like back in the states, or even in London. It seems people in the west worry about little things like what outfit to wear or how one will get to dance or basketball practice. This existence seems to revolve around little choices surrounding simple luxuries that so many people here cannot even imagine let along choose what they want to do. In so many cases the choice for so many of the people here in Delhi is made for them by outside forces that have more power and privilege. I guess that can be said though for any society in which the people with privilege have more options and choice than those without.

I will be posting tomorrow, so make sure to check my blog. Thanks for all your support and email me if you have an questions.

cheers~KK

1 comment:

Brenda Tedford said...

Katleen (wink) you look so beautiful in your new khameez and salwar! Show us your chunni next time, ok?! :) I am so proud of you for what you are already learning....... you have been blessed and I'm sure you realize how privileged our entire family has been. God has been very good to us....... with a lot of hard work and prayers........ I love you more than you know and I'm praying for you every day.
mom