Thursday, January 25, 2007

~Asha Setu~

I apologize for the lack of a post yesterday. I was extremely tired after a long day. I worked more on developing ideas for the new slum centre Maitri will be opening soon and came up with a couple of possible names in which we will call it. The centre is located in Ekta Vihar, which is within walking distance from Som Vihar. (Ekta is a Hindu female name meaning unity) (Vihar is Hindi for colony)...It took me an hour to come up with a couple of possible names for the centre, and yet, I still have not a clue as to what we should refer to it as. I am getting tired of calling it a "slum centre" even though it is just that, to call it a 'slum centre' feels wrong to say. Here, again, is another emotion in which I am not sure how to deal with or even understand....However, out of all the duds I came up with in that long hour, one name could possibly be just what we need: Asha Setu, which means "bridge to hope." Sonal has warned me not to be surprised if people are suspicious and weary upon the centre's opening, but with time she assures me, "we will build trust"... Such a simple word, trust, and such a difficult emotion in which to earn... But, once we are able to establish a trusting relationship with the women and children, and once they see we are only there to help; this centre can be a lighthouse for those in need. As it states on Maitri's letterhead, "Touch one heart. Change one life," it is through love and kindness, the very essence of what Maitri means and is, that we can build a bridge to hope...

Now on to my new experience of the day! After the office was officially closed, my two roommates and I were left to our own devices for the evening. As they were not in the mood to venture outside Som Vihar, I decided to revisit Vasant (meaning spring) Vihar. I hailed a rickshaw for the price of 30rs and found myself snugly fit into the back of a dungy green auto rickshaw. For those of you who don't know what a rickshaw is, it is basically a little cart that is used to transport people small distances around the city. Most frequently, these rickshaws are little auto-powered contraptions that have one seat for the driver, and a small narrow bench seat in the back for as many people as one can crowd. Of course, I had to gently haggle with the driver over price as he initially was going to charge me 50rs for the ride, but we agreeably came to the price of 30rs once I made it clear that I would venture elsewhere for rickshaw services if he would not agree to my price. I probably could have gotten it cheaper than that, but I am still new to this city and have much to learn about rickshaw negotiation. Perhaps before I leave India, I will be an expert haggler! Once I arrived at Vasant Vihar, I eagerly perused the many shops and stands that lined the uneven streets. The stores and street stands don't close shop until around 10:30 or 11 p.m. and even after that, the city is still bustling with activity. Eventually, I found the bookstand I had spotted the other day and bought five books for 60 cents USD. However, my return trip was a little different, even though the driver assured me he knew where Som Vihar was located, he managed to drop me off in the wrong area. I asked him to let me off before he got me even more lost, and forty minutes later, I found my way back to Som Vihar. God was definitly guiding me because I had absolutley no clue as to how I was able to find Som Vihar in the dark without speaking a smidgen of Hindi. With that experience behind my belt, I actually feel more confident as to my surroundings.

I am about to leave for a walk around Som Vihar, it is much too beautiful of a day to stay in doors. I will be updating the blog tomorrow with new pictures. Thanks to all of you who read my blog daily or not so daily. I hope that by sharing these experiences you feel as if you too have been to India.

Cheers~K

2 comments:

Brenda Tedford said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brenda Tedford said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.