Thursday, February 1, 2007

~Namaste~

Finally, I have something wonderfully interesting to talk about. For the last couple of days, I have been working in the Maitri office on some upcoming presentations. Not that it wasn't interesting for me, however, I will not bore you with the technicalities of NGOs...To say the least, we are cooking up some great ideas!

Today, Prema and I met Sonal and Winnie for our first meeting at Asha Setu. It went even better than we had hoped. The small newly carpeted room was full of women residents from Ekta Vihar. But before I go any further, I must tell you from the beginning of how I met the women. Sonal had recommended that I wear as modest attire that I possessed, this was so that I would not offend the women, or attract unwanted ogling from the men. So, I dawned my kurta, salwar, and dupatta and headed out to Ekta Vihar on foot. Prema and I climbed the stairs to the second level of the centre only to be greeted by no less than ten women already seated on the floor. When they saw me, they all rose and welcomed me, "namaste, Ma'ma," they said, and ushered me in, directing me to the only seat in the room. I sat uncomfortably for one half of a second, then quickly, I slide the chair to the corner and sat on the ground next to an older women. They all seemed worried, as if it was sacrilegious for me to sit with them, but I felt a million times better sitting with them, rather then above them, as if I were the queen and they my servants. Of course, I consider myself a queen, yet, I was a young queen, sitting among many queens. If anyone was the servant, it was me, for I have much to learn and to do, to earn their respect, for I do not desire a superficial respect, yet, I want the type of respect that one earns with time and hard work. Not but a minute after I was seated with my new friends, then did Sonal and Winnie arrive. The meeting began...The meeting began with ten women and increasingly filled until the room was bursting, with women leaning in from the doorway and over each other's shoulders....We discussed the best resources that would benefit the children and themselves. Most of these women told us that they stayed at home doing the house work and raising the children, it is after this, that many of them would then rush to their second jobs in the wealthy areas of Delhi where they clean other people's houses, and watch other people's children. I could see the lines of worry as they spoke to Winnie about their wishes for their children. The only thing these women want, is a life that is better for their children. They are willing to do anything, sacrifice anything to ensure that the future of their children will be bright with opportunity.

When they ask me to teach them, I kindly ask them to teach me. There is so much hope in this little slum of Delhi. It shines bright with the smiles on the faces of the women and young girls that dare to dream of a better life for themselves and for their families. It shines bright with the love that these women possess for their children, and it shines bright because for one moment today, we all set together as queens on our plush thrones of carpet....and no one could take that away from us.

Alvida~K

3 comments:

Magallan Family said...

Kathleen,
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Reminds me of my travels in Turkey, which I will never forget. Kathleen you are doing everything, from my expierence, right to fit in in a third world country being humble and respecting the people and their culture. Have fun and enjoy your time.
Love Uncle Joel

PS. Was that a tortilla I saw on your plate? HA! Hey the next time you go out for lunch see if they have FUNDENGO better known as Fideo.

Jan said...

Kathleen,
I am Phil's mom, It's so nice to be able to read your blog and get an idea of what going on with him too. If you sneek a picture of Phil working and post it I would love it.It seem that everyone gets along ok ...at least I hope so. Well take care and do well.
thanks
Jan Tindall

Utah Escapee said...

Kathleen,
It sounds like you are learning a lot. God bless and continue to have a great time.
Red