Tuesday, February 13, 2007

~Indian weddings are Delhi's way of saying welcome~

When I first heard the wild pounding of drums and cracking booms of explosives in the air, I thought insurgents had invaded Delhi…We had arrived two days before Republic day, and Sonal had warned us that security was at a maximum due to the political strife that has plagued the government over the past couple of years….I stayed up that night, frightened to think of what would happen if those booms got any closer to our colony. They seemed so close, and I expected the worst. I fell asleep with my head under my pillow and covers. When I woke up the next morning, I expected to be told that we must leave as soon as possible to the U.S. embassy. But nothing happened, in fact my roommates acted as if they had had the best sleep in their lives. I wanted to scream, “didn’t you hear the insurgents”? But in my confusion, I decided to wait for Sonal to come, as I figured, my roommates being two guys didn’t want to act scared. And since I didn’t want them to think I was a complete pansy, I kept my mouth shut. Finally, when Sonal arrived, I waited patiently for her to tell us there were some political problems which would explain the explosions of the past night. She mentioned nothing…Being the inquisitive woman that I am, I asked her if there was some political uprising the night before. She looked at me with worry in her eyes, and asked why. Calmly, as if explaining to a child, I told her of the explosions and booms that I had heard from the night before. After my explanation a few seconds passed until she burst out in laughter. I thought for a moment she had gone mad, but then she laughingly explained to me that the explosions I heard were from firecrackers being set off in celebration of a wedding. The pounding and yells I had heard into the late hours of the night were that of the wedding party walking through the streets celebrating. Sheepishly, I laughed and felt a complete fool. I thought to myself, ‘I’ve gone and done it again; made an ass out of myself’. What an interesting first night in India that was….And to think that I missed out on a great fireworks show, with my head stuck under my pillow like an ostrich. When I think about it now, I will never forget it because it was the city’s way of welcoming me.

Delhi is not just a city, her people and culture, or even her history are just accessories. Delhi is like a person you have met for the first time, but feel as if you have known forever….I have since gotten used to the welcoming of Delhi. Weddings have a tendency to happen quite frequently here, so now the pounding of drums and cracking of firecrackers seem to be a soothing hum or lullaby. It reminds me of when my mother used to rock me and I would put my cheek to her breast and listen to her breathe and sing to me…. That is one of the most comforting feelings I can remember about my childhood, and to be reminded of that in a place so foreign and unfamiliar to me as Delhi is….It is a gift from God. The Lord knows at times, I am family sick…. And in answer to that, He gave me the gift of remembrance. Many times, we don’t even realize these gifts, but when we do, it can bring about a warmth that no blanket, fire, or heater can produce. So for now, the beating of the drums and the popping sounds of firecrackers in the distance echo through the dark blue night sky and fill me with a sense of security. Even the pigeons which scratch incessantly at my window and create many a restless night can’t take away the calm I feel right now. With that as I my last thought of the day, I will take advantage of my gift and sleep peacefully with the scent of my mother’s perfume in my nose, and the sound of her voice sung through the pounding of Delhi’s welcome. ~K

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Dear Kathleen,
Your description of Delhi and your memories of your mother rocking you just brought tears to my eyes. You are an enchanting woman with a gift for writing in a way that I feel as if I'm there with you. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. They are amazing. I am reading them as often as I can. I am also praying for you!
Love, Aunt Michelle

Jan said...

Kathleen,
Hi! This is Phil's mom, Jan.

Thank you for writing this blog. Mike and I enjoy reading about all the things Phil doesn't tell us. We really look forward to your observations and experiences. Sometimes it makes me want to come there and help out and other times I am just soooo happy to have a nice smelling comfy home!

Keep up the good work.

(Phil would probably tell me to just read your blog and not respond but he would also know that I will listen to him and then go and do whatever I want!)

Thanks again

Jan Tindall