Saturday, March 3, 2007

~happy holi~

Someone very special once told me that one of the most beautiful sights in the world is that of a child learning… I must agree that seeing that twinkle present in the eye of a child as they learn is one of the most precious and rewarding moments for anyone in the presence of this miracle. And, learning is just that…A MIRACLE. However, I would like to add that when someone older learns something new for the first time, it too is just as beautiful. Two days ago, I saw that same twinkle, that same light in the eyes of a sixty year old woman, who learned how to use a sewing machine for the first time. Two days ago, fifteen women lit the room with their determination and fascination for learning. Those simple things that we take fore granted, and in which I talk about frequently, once again came to my mind as I watched the women these women soak up all the knowledge they could for threading the machine, and stitching straight lines as they pumped the wheel on the sewing machine. Two days ago, I saw the twinkle of learning in the eyes of a sixty year old woman as she watched the sewing instructor teacher her how to cut out pillow patters without a pattern. Two days ago, I felt like the proud mother as she watches her child take her first step, or read her first sentence all by herself. To watch someone in the process of growing/learning is a miracle and gift from God…

Things are looking up for Asha Setu, we have officially opened the centre, and are in the process of already expanding to a larger building in Sonia Vihar, which is located on the other side of the block. I haven’t yet told you about this, but the General was able to use some of his connections to get the local government to offer up some public property to help us with more working space for Asha Setu. Once we finish the Conference, I can focus 100% on the centre. We are going to try and get more sewing machines and raise more money for the other centre that we have.

It seems that when the holidays come around so too do deadlines, final papers, and bills. With that said, tomorrow is the beginning of a big Indian holiday, Holi, and we are just FIVE days away from our big conference. So, not only are we rushing to get everything in order for the conference, but also to get finished for the big celebrations that are coming up. I wish I could explain in detail why exactly they celebrate Holi, however, I can tell you that it is about families and friends being together and enemies shaking hands and calling peace for a couple of days. I wish everyday was Holi! To celebrate this wonderful holiday everyone prepares for days before the initial festivities by cooking and concocting a red dye liquid in which everyone throws at eachother on Holi. The city will be an entire red mess for two days as pedestrians and those unfortunate to have their car window down get pelted with red liquid dye by young children and youth. Now to some of you, this may seem horrible, but here, it is culture and a fun way of celebrating life and all its’ wonders. I have been warned to make sure I take an enclosed car during these couple of days to protect myself from unwanted coloring. I am excited, but most definitely cautious, as Winnie has warned me against some of the mixtures of color that can be extremely harmful to one’s skin due to the toxins some people put in the liquid to make it more red. Phil, Matt, and I have been invited to celebrate Holi with Sonal’s in-laws due to the dangers of public celebrations and toxic dye, and also because we are the best interns (wink to Sonal)! We will play with organic natural colors…. I have a couple of people in mind for my hit-list (SONAL!!!!SONJAY). I am most certain that my sisters and brother would love this holiday. We would all have a ball throwing color at eachother without getting in trouble for it! Perhaps my mom will be up to adopting the holiday when I get back?!

To give you a better update on the Conference, Joe Thomas from FXB and Sanjay, our director in Shillong, have come to prepare us for the Conference. For the past couple of days, we all have been working our tail ends off with preparing the last minute details for this shindig. I am just ready for it to be done, but I can’t wait to hear all the great speakers that will be speaking on Universal Access and HIV/AIDS. I could go on and on about this topic, but I won’t, however, for all of you who are curious about what Universal Access is and what you can do to help please leave a request for further information, and I will send you our conference brochure electronically.

Also, please check out the e-forum link I have posted on the top right of my blog. Some of the leading experts in this field contribute to the discussions, and by being a member of the forum, you can find out what is going on with the movement to stop to the spread of HIV/AIDS. [checkout the new pics]~K

1 comment:

Unknown said...

happy holi.you sure have got indianised.hope you keep coming back every year